Tooth plaque is not just limited to those with bad oral hygiene; it is something everyone gets. Tooth plaques are the sticky film that forms when there is bacteria buildup on your teeth. The worst part is that they affect your choppers especially when they hang around for too long. It eats up your choppers and makes them weak, leading to decay and gum disease. Bacteria’s are something you can't evict from your mouth (even though some kinds are right for you.
What Causes Plaque and Why Is It Harmful?
Just as we stated earlier on, plaques tend to build up when foods like milk, soft drinks, raisins, cakes, or candy are left on the teeth. Bacteria that live in the mouth produce acids as they thrive on these foods and these acids destroy tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay over some time. Plaque can also breakdown the bone supporting the tooth when they develop on the tooth roots under the gum. How Can Plaque Formation Be Prevented? Read on for some tips on how you can nip plaque buildup:
1. Brush at least twice a day, the right way.
Brushing is an obvious solution. You know you should do it, but how often? It is advisable to brush after each meal to remove plaque, but for those who don't have much time, brushing twice a day is enough. Don’t also forget to use a soft-bristled toothbrush as hard bristles brush can take a thorn on your gums. Done also forget to replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months and follow your San Leandro dentist advice.
2. Floss Daily
Your San Leandro dentist advice that flossing daily is as important as brushing, as brushing can only help removes 65% of the bacteria and plaque, but flossing can help get rid of the remaining 35%. Flossing can help clean the spaces between your teeth making it vital to the health of your teeth and gums.
3. Keep Up with Dental Checkups
There are times where brushing and flossing might miss some of the dental plaque, and they will build up over time and eventually turn into tartar. But, when you visit San Leandro dentist for checkup or dental implants san Leandro they will recommend the right solution like CEREC for you. It is recommended that you visit your dentist once every six months.
4. Eat Fruits and Vegetables
Keeping your mouth hydrated is a good practice. Leaving your mouth dry might lead to decaying of your teeth, so eating fruits and vegetables can help you increase saliva flow and naturally removes plaque and bacteria.
5. Swish with mouthwash
According to san Leandro dentist, mouthwash can help loosen plaque, making it easier to remove. For people who are prone to cavities or people with gum inflammation or dry mouth, mouthwash is recommended. However, before you choose which type of mouthwash to choose, talk to your san Leandro dentist first.